Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Keeping a strong relationship

My girlfriend and I recently had a depressing day together. We did not really fight but we did not talk almost all day and we both felt that the other was treating us poorly. However, by the end of the night we talked to each other and were able to say goodnight to each other without any hostility. Although we avoided a fight by communicating and working things out I did not feel like we reached closure. I still had feelings of being treated unfair and wanted hr to know why I felt that way. I was not upset with her anymore but I felt like we did not completely understand each others side of the story. I ignored these feelings for an entire day but then finally decided I could not hold in how I felt. I explained to her exactly how I felt at the time of the disagreement and exactly how I felt in the following day. Together we took the time to calmly discuss how we felt. Then, we also explained to each other how to better read each others emotions so that we could avoid future aggravations.
The reason I wanted to share this was because I do not think I have ever felt as happy with my relationship as I do after that talk. I know that everyone always says, "Communication is key in a good relationship", but it really is important. The feeling of connection after having a good talk about your feelings is incomparable. It brings a feeling of connection and commitment. It teaches each of you more about the other and it expresses how willing you are to work at the relationship. So please, if you want a strong and healthy relationship learn to communicate in a calm and loving conversation and never let your feelings stay bottled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment